This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure for more information.
Ahhh, pizza. I don't know anyone who doesn't like pizza in some variation. It's like a universal food language: if the UN would just have a pizza party already, we'd have a plan for world peace before the last slice was finished.
And this keto bacon pesto pizza? It's up there as one of my favorites.
That's because it has fewer carbs than your normal keto red sauced pizzas, takes less time to make than a fathead pizza crust, and doesn't require tons of tools or ingredients.
Plus bacon. We can all agree that the world needs more bacon.
When I was pregnant with my daughter and managing gestational diabetes, I ate some variation of this pizza (with a salad) almost every day of the week--I loved that I didn't have to cook tons of meat or spend much time at the stove, yet I could still eat something amazing that tasted like a cheat food. Win-win.
A couple tips if you're new to making skillet pizzas:
- Don't set your heat any higher than medium. Your cheese will spend a fairly long time in the pan getting melted and browned, so higher heat can scorch it. If you're really worried, set your temp to something lower--you'll have to wait longer, but it won't affect the overall recipe.
- Wait until your cheese mostly stops bubbling before you add sauce. The pizza needs to brown and form a crust on the bottom so your sauce won't leak through.
- To easily remove your pizza from the pan, turn off the heat early, remove the pan from your burner, and let it cool and firm up a little while still in the pan.
- A nonstick skillet is really important for this recipe. Tread with caution when using other pans, as I've heard they can cause problems.
- This pizza can get greasy, so have paper towels handy. ;)
I added some red pepper flakes at the end on a whim, but they're totally optional--grated Parmesan or fresh parsley would also make an amazing garnish. And for anyone with nut allergies, you can still sub in a red sauce (just watch for high carbs or added sugar).
Nutrition facts (for one pizza):
- Calories: 570
- Fat: 44g
- Saturated fat: 18g
- Cholesterol: 80mg
- Sodium: 1920mg
- Total carbs: 6g
- Protein: 46g
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons pre-made pesto sauce (here's a brand with fantastic macros)
- 1/4 cup real bacon pieces
- Red pepper flakes to taste